• Do I need any specific licensure for a travel assignment?
  • What makes me eligible for travel compensation?
    • The federal government outlines the criteria you must meet in order to be compensated as a “traveler,” i.e., receive a tax-free daily meal and lodging allowance (MLA).  In order to be eligible, you must duplicate living expenses during your assignment with LMS. It is a common myth that you automatically qualify for a tax-free stipend or reimbursement if you live 50 miles from your assignment. Check out this article covering some of the common myths and fibs in travel nursing.
  • How long am I eligible?
    • You are eligible for up to one year without changing your temporary tax home (defined as the entire city or general area where your work is located).  Once you change temporary living locations to a different tax home, the one year resets.
  • How is my meal and lodging allowance (MLA) calculated?
    • Based on government guidelines, we calculate your tax-free MLA (also commonly referred to as your stipend or reimbursement) by determining the number of days per week you duplicate living expenses and the location of your temporary work assignment. Here is a link to the government website that outlines these rates: www.gsa.gov.
  • How is my hourly rate determined?
    • Compensation varies by facility and unit, and you will know your compensation package (both hourly pay rate and MLA) prior to LMS presenting you as a candidate for any assignment. Note that LMS has the flexibility to adjust your hourly pay rate and MLA (within IRS guidelines) to come up with a customized package that works for you. And your OT rate will be based off your blended pay and not your travel hourly rate.
  • What will my pay stub / ‘take home pay’ look like?
    • We recommend comparing gross pay packages across agencies, as tax exemptions and benefits costs can vary greatly. There are online tools you can use to estimate your “take-home pay” based on your specific tax exemptions and deductions.
  • Do you provide housing?
    • We can recommend and help facilitate housing options on your behalf. Most travelers find the best fit for housing when they secure it directly, including deciding personal trade-offs that enable them to maximize their take home pay. We can also offer assistance for travel relocation or other arrangements – just ask your recruiter.
  • Is there any paperwork involved in the process?
    • Prior to starting your assignment, you will sign a Staffing Agreement (which outlines all of the parameters of your assignment, including compensation). We suggest you maintain any receipts or records that confirm your duplication of expenses.
  • Do you have any other resources regarding travel pay?
Leave us a message.

We will get back to you right away!

Not readable? Change text.